POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Povray 3.0 doesn't support #macro : Re: Povray 3.0 doesn't support #macro Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Povray 3.0 doesn't support #macro
From: Chris Huff
Date: 26 Feb 2000 14:59:05
Message: <chrishuff_99-59DD91.15003326022000@news.povray.org>
In article <38B8283C.C3189B4D@netvision.net.il>, Eitan Tal
<eit### [at] netvisionnetil> wrote:

> Povray Ver 3.0 doesn't support #macro, but 3.1 does
> I need to know what it does so I can understand and use some examples
> I cannot run.

A macro is basically a chunk of code that you can call multiple times,
and pass variables to through the parameters. Like this:
#macro Square(val)
    (val*val)
#end

#declare Amt = Square(3);

You should upgrade to the latest version...

> I don't like any newer versions of povray, they try to sell me all of
> their cdroms, and I hate it.

I don't remember seeing anything about CD's from when I used the Windows
version, and there isn't anything about them on the Mac version. Can you
be more specific about what you mean?
And you are missing a lot if the only reason you won't use it is a
splash-screen...

> is there any difference between ver 3.0 and 3.1?

There are many differences. 3.1g(the latest version) has a lot of
additional features, like arrays and macros, as well as several bug
fixes and some speed enhancements(in the sor and I think the lathe
objects). There were also some pretty major syntax changes: atmosphere
and halo were replaced with media, and the interior statement now holds
things like ior. And when you declare a float or vector, you need to put
a ";" at the end of the line.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom